Banana Date-Nut Muffin Tops

Banana Date-Nut Muffin Tops

Everyone knows it: muffin tops are the best part of the muffin.  Slightly crisp on top, perfect for spreading--this recipe does the smart thing and omits the muffin bottom altogether.  We kept the recipe small because they are so much better when they're fresh out of the oven.  Feel free to double the recipe and freeze the extras.

Ingredients

View Ingredients

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F and spray cookie sheet with oil.
  2. Place flour, baking powder, salt, and Brazil nuts in a food processor and process together for 1 minute, until the nuts are as fine as the flour.  Add walnuts and blend a few seconds to chop the nuts coarsely.

3. Mash the bananas with a fork and place in a 1-cup measuring cup along with the honey.  Add the milk to make a total of 1 cup mixture with the bananas and honey.  Stir together.
  4. Place flour mixture in a mixing bowl, adding dates and the banana mixture.  Stir briskly until well mixed.

5. Using an ice cream scoop, place 6 mounds of batter on a cookie sheet.  (Briskly tap the cookie sheet on the counter several times and the mounds will spread into flat circles.)
  6. Place in 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bottom.

Ready in about: 35 minutes

Makes: 8 muffin tops

Comments ( 14 ) Leave a Comment
  1. 1 Chrissie Apr 1, 2013, 5:44 PM PDT

Is there any alternative to the baking powder?  In Ministry of Healing, and other books, I have learned that baking powder is very unhealthy and damages one’s stomach….can you recommend a substitute for it?  Thank you.

2. 2 Carol Apr 1, 2013, 6:20 PM PDT

These look delicious—can’t wait to try them!

3. 3 Debbie Apr 1, 2013, 6:58 PM PDT

I use yeast instead of baking powder and it works nicely.

4. 4 Chrissie Apr 2, 2013, 12:17 AM PDT

I have only used yeast in breads, though I have heard of using it in cakes…how would I go about doing that?  Does it need a period of rising like a bread does?  Does it give a heavy texture?  Please explain how to go about it, I am very interested.  Thank you.

5. 5 Jan Apr 2, 2013, 10:48 AM PDT

You can purchase aluminum-free (not likely available in E.G.W.‘s time) baking powder in health food stores.

6. 6 Chrissie Apr 2, 2013, 12:44 PM PDT

I thank you, Jan.  Appreciate your comments.  I don’t think the aluminum was the issue though, was it?  I’m honestly not sure…

I looked up the other term, saleratus.  It is equal to what I had been purchasing at the health food store: Featherweight by Hain’s.  And she mentioned both baking powder and soda also…soda is a component of baking powders generally.  So I am looking for an alternative, if there is one and if not, then I will forego the making of items requiring soda or baking powder…I will miss them, but my health is more important.  Most of all, I don’t want to disappoint my Savior. :)  Blessings.

7. 7 Michelle Apr 2, 2013, 1:31 PM PDT

You can use ENER-G baking powder, as it is does not have the traditional baking powder ingredients.  We use this kind at NEWSTART.  Blessings!

An aluminum-free, sodium-free, gluten-free baking powder. Designed specifically for individuals on Kidney Dialysis who must avoid sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, and who require higher intakes of calcium. Ener-G Baking Powder is free of sodium, potassium, aluminum, and is high in calcium. Baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents in baked goods. They create the necessary gas for breads, cakes, muffins, etc. to rise.

8. 8 Chrissie Apr 2, 2013, 1:43 PM PDT

Thank you so much, Michelle.  I thought there must be something different and that you would not go contrary to Sr. White’s counsel at your programs.  Blessings to you.

9. 9 Jan Apr 2, 2013, 1:44 PM PDT

So where does one purchase ENER-G baking powder?

10. 10 Chrissie Apr 2, 2013, 1:49 PM PDT

I believe my local health food store may carry it, though am not certain.  I do know they carry the egg replacer by the same company.  That may be a place to start.  I am in Maine, not sure where to direct you if no health food stores are available where you live.  My local supermarket, Hannaford’s may also carry it, they carry some natural foods there, but not as likely.  It may also be available on line.  I hope you are able to find it also, Jan.  Blessings and good health to all.

11. 11 Jan Apr 2, 2013, 2:12 PM PDT

Guess I’ll check it out on the Internet. The aluminim-free kind is what our local health food store carries, but I just checked, and it contains bicarbonate soda. :-(

12. 12 Jan Apr 2, 2013, 2:13 PM PDT

I just re-checked the “Notify…” space, which I had unchecked by accident.

13. 13 Raewyn Apr 24, 2013, 2:26 PM PDT

when using baking soda, add a few drops of lemon juice to your recipe and that undoes the baddies in baking soda - my healthy living science teacher told me so, and I’ve been doing exactly that ever since (many years), though I prefer a mostly simple food-as-its-grown dietstyle.

14. 14 Jenni Jan 22, 2016, 5:31 AM PST

Sounds delicious! I’m looking forward to making it—thank you for sharing this recipe online! :) My question is regarding agave syrup. I’m confused—someone told me it’s as bad as high fructose corn syrup, but many healthy recipes include it. Anyone have any information on agave syrup?

×

You must sign in to view the ingredients.

Not a Member?

Here’s some of the benefits:

• Live streaming videos
  • Local seminars & events
  • Expert health advice
  • Wellness tips & tools
  • FREE membership

Join

×

You must sign in to view the meal plan.

Not a Member?

Here’s some of the benefits:

• Live streaming videos
  • Local seminars & events
  • Expert health advice
  • Wellness tips & tools
  • FREE membership

Join

×

You must sign in to watch “Banana Date-Nut Muffin Tops”

Not a Member?

Here’s some of the benefits:

• Live streaming videos
  • Local seminars & events
  • Expert health advice
  • Wellness tips & tools
  • FREE membership

Join

×

You must sign in to leave a comment.

Not a Member?