This slightly sweet red cabbage recipe will provide an unusual and special vegetable side dish to complement a meal with mashed potatoes, gravy and meatballs.
- Thinly slice the onion and simmer slowly in water, adding garlic when onion is tender.
- Meanwhile quarter, core and finely shred cabbage – you should have about 4 cups.
- Stir cabbage into the onions along with salt, seeds, bay leaf, apple, broth and grape juice.
- Cover saucepan and boil 10-15 minutes, tossing occasionally until cabbage is just tender.
- Add a little more broth if liquid evaporates before cabbage is done.
- If cabbage is tender and liquid remains, uncover pan and boil it off, stirring to prevent scorching.
- Toss with fresh parsley and cabbage is ready to serve.