- Soak beans overnight OR bring to a boil and soak 1 hour in the hot water;
- Cover beans with fresh water 1 inch above the beans.
- Add seasonings and cook about 4 hours or until tender.
- In a separate kettle, simmer all the other ingredients together about 10 or 15 minutes until tender.
- Add to cooked beans and serve hot.
HINT: This is very good made in the crock pot by placing all ingredients in the pot with the boiling water. Let cook for 8 to 10 hours depending on the kind of beans. Cook and add the vegetables at the last if you want to preserve their color and texture.