A hearty, home-style pot pie. This one takes a little more time to make, but it is well worth the effort. Make it a day ahead of time and warm it before serving. It's sure to satisfy and will receive compliments.
- Simmer vegetables (except peas) and diced Veggie Cutlets in a small amount of water and salt until barely tender.
- Drain and place the vegetables and cutlets in a 9" x 13" dish that has been lightly oiled around the top edge. Scatter frozen peas on top of the vegetables.
- Make Basic Cream Sauce. Add water to the sauce to make 5 cups of sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables. (Use plenty of sauce—a ratio of about half vegetables and half sauce.)
- Make Flakey Pie Crust and roll it into a rectangle 1⁄4 inch thick and place it on the vegetables (to transfer, fold twice—then unfold in dish).
- Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
Note: If you plan to serve this the next day, let it cool completely before covering. Then place the whole casserole in a plastic bag and refrigerate. (Otherwise, the crust is likely to wrinkle a bit, though it doesn't hurt the taste!) Remove cover and place in 350°F oven to heat before serving. A piece of foil may be placed loosely over the top if it begins to brown too much.
Cooking time: 90 minutes
Makes: 6-8 servings