- Blend tofu (or soybeans) with water, garlic, and seasonings.
Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add blended tofu or soybeans and mix well.
Hint: A food processor or high-speed blender will greatly simplify the preparation of this loaf. The bread can easily be made into crumbs several slices at a time, the nuts can be ground, and the onions chopped. These bread crumbs are made using soft, untoasted bread. Dried crumbs are more compact, so if you use them, use only 1 1⁄2 to 2 cups.
- Place mix in lightly oiled or nonstick loaf pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes to give it a chance to set up before removing from the pan. Turn upside down onto a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or kale and serve with a Simple Gravy.
Variation: Cashew-Carrot Loaf
Follow the Holiday Nut Loaf recipe using 2 cups raw cashew nuts in place of the pecans. Use 1 cup finely ground or grated carrot and reduce onion to 1 cup finely chopped onion. Use 1 tablespoon Chicken-Like Seasoning in place of the Bragg Liquid Aminos.
Serving Tips: A good entrée for a holiday meal along with cranberries, mashed potatoes, and gravy. This loaf freezes well. Leftover loaf is delicious when slices are placed in a nonstick skillet and browned on each side. Delicious in sandwiches or burgers.
Ready in: about 2 hours