- Heat water in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatos and basil. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatos with the back of spoon.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until mixture thickens to chunky sauce and is reduced to 6 cups, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings. Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Return to low heat before continuing.
Preheat oven to 375. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm to the bite. Drain well. Add sauce and optional cheese. Pour into 9×13 glass baking dish. Top with olives. Bake until pasta is heated through, about 30-40 minutes. Then sprinkle with fresh basil. NOTE: If you make this the night before, the time for reheating is increased to 1 hour or so depending on your oven.