Some things are best kept simple. Here, cauliflower is made into a soup that's delicate, sweet, and as smooth as a cashmere scarf.
- Warm the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan.
Sweat the onion in the olive oil over low heat without letting it brown for 15 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, salt, and 1/2 cup water.
4 Raise the heat slightly, cover the pot tightly, and stew the cauliflower for 15-18 minutes, or until tender.
- Add another 4 1/2 cups hot water, bring to a low simmer and cook an additional 20 minutes uncovered.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender to a very smooth, creamy consistency. Let the soup stand for 20 minutes for thickening.
- Thin the soup with 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Reheat the soup and serve hot, drizzled with a thin stream of extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
Ready in about: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Makes: about 8 servings