Better Than “Eggo” Waffles

Better Than “Eggo” Waffles

Ingredients

View Ingredients

Instructions

1. Blend in blender let stand for 5 min. to let batter thicken some, can warm up waffle irons in the mean time.
  2. Then pour batter onto hot sprayed waffle iron.
  3. Let cook for 10 min and top with any fruit topping.

NOTE: Freezes well

Comments ( 13 ) Leave a Comment
  1. 1 Lincoln Feb 18, 2012, 12:31 AM PST

I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but I have tried other waffle recipes that include corn meal as an ingredient.  And I’m not a real fan of corn meal in waffles.
    Can you tell me why people put corn meal in waffle recipes?

2. 2 Algenia Feb 20, 2012, 1:21 AM PST

I am guessing…so they are gluten free?

Oats are gluten free.

3. 3 Lincoln Feb 20, 2012, 9:27 AM PST

If gluten free is the reason would the corn meal just be for bulk?  Or would the recipe work by using 3/4 cup more oats and leaving the corn meal out.  Gluten free oats can be expensive to purchase.

4. 4 Algenia Feb 20, 2012, 2:33 PM PST

I understand that oats are gluten free,however can be “contaminated” with wheat in many ways..like being processed in a Plant with other grains..however if you are not sensitive to gluten..you can use regular oats..you could certainly experiment with more cornmeal or ask Weimar folks for a more expert opinion…

5. 5 Zachary Feb 20, 2012, 3:33 PM PST

Wow! With how simple this recipe is, my wife and I were surprised when we made it this morning and the waffles were quite delicious! We will definitely be using this in the future! Thank you for the simple, healthy and tasteful recipe! Keep it up!

6. 6 Lincoln Feb 20, 2012, 10:44 PM PST

I guess Zachary’s comment will push me into trying this recipe:)
    I may decrease the corn meal, increase the oats and see what happens.
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

7. 7 Trudie Feb 24, 2012, 6:32 PM PST

Hi Carolyn
    Cornmeal in this waffle recipe is optional. We added it for the nutritive value in multiple grains and for texture. Use all oats if you prefer or perhaps another grain such as buckwheat flour, cooked quinoa, etc.

Follow the instructions carefully in the recipe and you will have a delicious waffle.

Bon appetit!
    Sally Christensen, NEWSTART Cooking School Instructor

8. 8 Kathryn Jul 3, 2012, 9:29 AM PDT

Organic cornmeal would be the better choice.  Corn is one of the big GMO crops.  It’s very bad and it’s in a lot of manufactured food.

You can watch “King Corn”, a documentary about our U.S,A. corn to learn more.  My public library has it, and it’s free to watch online at Hulu.com.

Another video that covers this subject, too, is “Food Inc,” which is about the food business in this country.

Also good ones are ” Forks Over Knives” and “The Future of Food”.  If you don’t decide to be a vegetarian after watching these, you weren’t paying attention. :-)

9. 9 Kathryn Jul 3, 2012, 8:49 PM PDT

I made these waffles today.  After cooking two waffles for 10 minutes each and tasting them, my first thought was “These would make great crackers”.  They were pretty good, but I wanted them to be sweeter, so I tossed 8 dates into the rest of the batter and blended it some more so the dates got chopped and mixed.

Ten minutes was too long for the batter with dates.  It burned.  Then I tried # 5 on the waffle maker and—-voila!  These are really good!

I’ve been trying to make healthful waffles.  The ones I made last week tasted like they were “good for you”, but not much fun to eat!

Next time, if I don’t have any dates, maybe I could add some stevia sweetener, or bananas to satisfy the old sweet tooth.

Thank you for these recipes!

10. 10 Cecile Dec 9, 2013, 6:26 AM PST

If corn meal is not organic its probably GMO.

11. 11 Barb Feb 15, 2014, 8:16 AM PST

if anyone is on a gluten free diet… you should use gluten free oats-bob’s red mill brand. And, food for life gluten free bread to make Bread Waffles:
    Take 1 1/2 cups of reg. old fashioned rolled/quick oats( or gluten free); and lightly toast 4 slices of Food for life ‘bran for life’ bread, or FFL gluten free bread in a toaster. Let cool, and then tear up into small pieces into a standard blender. Add the oats; next, add water-1 cup at a time, using up to 2-2 1/2 cups, depending on how thick you want your waffle batter. Stop and start the blender and use a teaspoon to help move around the oats/bread and water to help the blades move. Turn on and pulse til the batter is smooth. OIL and turn on waffle iron while preparing waffle batter. When iron hot, pour the batter in. close iron, w/o pressing shut, just let the weight of iron to press shut. Leave to cook for @ least 10 minutes, before lifting lid to check. Let continue to cook til desired crispness/color and baked through. I personally add in a few tblsp. wheat germ or bran; brewer’s yeast,or 1 tblsp. ground flax seed in the blender prior to blending for an extra crisp, and delicious waffle! Enjoy

12. 12 Jackie Sep 14, 2015, 7:00 PM PDT

I cant eat oats.  My gout flares up.  Can i use spelt flour instead cup for cup.

13. 13 Lois Dec 3, 2015, 5:30 PM PST

My family loves these waffles!  I bake a lot of them each time and keep them in the freezer.  They are great toasted in the toaster oven and served with applesauce.  We have even toasted them and then used our favorite pizza sauce recipe (from the NEWSTART cookbook) with extras such as red peppers, chilies, onions, cheese sauce ((Jiffy Cheese Sauce from the NEWSTART book) and then placed them under the broiler until the cheese sauce has thickened.  Delicious gluten-free pizzas!

×

You must sign in to view the ingredients.

Not a Member?

Here’s some of the benefits:

• Live streaming videos
  • Local seminars & events
  • Expert health advice
  • Wellness tips & tools
  • FREE membership

Join

×

You must sign in to view the meal plan.

Not a Member?

Here’s some of the benefits:

• Live streaming videos
  • Local seminars & events
  • Expert health advice
  • Wellness tips & tools
  • FREE membership

Join

×

You must sign in to watch “Better Than “Eggo” Waffles”

Not a Member?

Here’s some of the benefits:

• Live streaming videos
  • Local seminars & events
  • Expert health advice
  • Wellness tips & tools
  • FREE membership

Join

×

You must sign in to leave a comment.

Not a Member?